Thursday, June 21, 2012

June 15 2012 - Into the woods!

Near Cow Creek, surrounded by giant pines and tiny lizards
Today's Miles: 13
Trip Mileage: 13
PCT Mile 711 (this may help you determine where we are, if you look at PCT-specific maps)

Today wasn't glamorous, it wasn't incredibly exciting, but it was still somethineg unique and extraordinary - my first day on the PCT. Everything was new to me, from the landscape to the people to the feelings of possibility and trepidation. Possibility because I don't know what will happen, so it seems like anything could. Trepidation because there are so many things tht could go wrong and I'm terrified of going home too soon. Like today:  my not-quite-as-flat foot was aching painfully, probably in protest of my overly full pack (around 40 lbs if you're curious) and Andrew worried out loud that my pack may be too heavy for my feet. So, as much as it pains my pride, he'll be carrying my bear canister (a huge heavy plastic container that confounds bears who want the food inside. Hikers are required to carry them in the Sierras) tomorrow, transferering at least 15 lbs to his own back. What a guy, right?

We've seen a lot of critters today. The tiny push-up lizards (they do displays that look exactly like mini push-ups to impress chicks and embarrass wimpier lizards) were so numerous I started a lizard count: final tally was 32. Birds are everywhere, too. I spotted a few flickers (even found some red-shafted feathers at our campsite!), a meadowlark, some stellar's jays, two mountain bluebirds, juncos, tons of robins and a gorgeous bird with a yellow body, orange cap and black wings. Any guesses?

The human wildlife was more friendly, but no less wild. We met T-Rex and Sunshine from Asheville, NC (best town in the East) and then joined Young Geezer for a long break at the South Kern River footbridge. The swallows that build nests under the bridge were constantly flying in and out, swooping down to catch bugs and making whistles and clicks eerily reminiscent of bats or dolphins (do swallows use sonar??). The birds were mesmerizing; we all said we could watch them all day. But Andrew(who I will refer to as Shaggy, his trail name, from now on) and I eventually pulled away, hiking a few more miles and making camp here beneath some enormous, fire-blackened Ponderosa pines. A liesurely dinner and some map studying, and it was early to bed for us. Hopefully that will mean early to rise, and we can get to our first pass tomorrow before things heat up!

Shaggy says:

Today we began hiking. It felt so good, cept for the heavy pack! I had 8 days of food, and 4 beers from Denver. It still does not feel as bad as leaving Hite Marina on the Hayduke Trail with 10 liters of water and 10 days of food! Good times.
  Hiking with Lauren is much diferent than hiking by myself. I was mentally prepared for this too. We both have different hiking styles, and different paces. I think it will work, but for now it is honestly difficult for us to find a pace that works for both of us. This is a tough stretch though too. We are carrying a lot of food and working our way into the high Sierras. I feel it today, but I know Lauren feels it more. Her foot is bothering her today, says her arch feels like its falling. This is likely the most weight she has carried! We are going to redistribute the weight tomorrow, I will take her food and bear canister, she will take the tent. We are in this together, and she will help me out some way along this crazy adventure as well.
   The trail brings back memories of 2006. Missing the folks I hiked with. Also excited to meet new folks. Today we met T-Rex, Sunshine, Jeff, Gut Feeling, and Young Geezer. All great people to spend time with. It makes me feel at home, hikers are truly the best. I once again feel so lucky to be able to do what I am doing. Hard to imagine another 3 months with no work or school, but I am stoked for it.
  The South Fork of the Kern River was the highlight of my day. It feels like the gateway to the Sierras. Its in a meadow, high mountains in the background, and the swallows fly around like jets on a bright blue sky. We spent time here watching the birds, meeting new hikers, and washing off in the river. Hard to beat.
  We made 13 miles today, big climb tomorrow sending us up over 10,000 feet. I cant wait.
The swallows were entrancing, hundreds flying and somersaulting in the air.

Real estate is at a premium in Swallows Condominiums! These birds build their nests one tiny mouthful at a time. Amazing!
The South Fork Kern River, aka swallow-palooza. And a great place to soak tired feet!

Bizarre pile of scrap iron near our campsite. Fifteen miles from any road...


Lupine! Probably the most prevalent wildflowers in the Sierra, at least this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment