Sunday, October 28, 2012

August 3, 2012 - Parasites, Water Polo and Gators

Day 48
Holiday Inn Express
Yreka, CA
Miles: 0
Trip: 815

The last week of journal entries have been all over the place - just like us. From the trail to Mt. Shasta City, back to the trail, then down to Dunsmuir, then here to Yreka...and salvation. I never thought salvation would involve a walk-in clinic and a wicked Cup-O-Noodles craving, but that's what I've needed. I saw a very kind and understanding physician's assistant who prescribed some Flagyl (medicine to evict the parasite giardia from our systems) without requiring a poop sample, which would have involved more cost and more walking - yes, I'm trying to avoid walking right now.

I recorded zero miles for today, but there should be one for me and at least two for Andrew, after moving from the Econo Lodge to a posh, out-of-the-way Holiday Inn. among other reasons, because the Econo manager told me that keeping my shoes  outside the door "looks very bad". I wanted to tell him that keeping them inside would "smell very bad" but instead we just packed up.

After we moved, Andrew and I did what so many hikers do on zero days: we loafed like nobody's business. Thanks to the Olympics and fascinating shows like "Gator Boys and the Horse-Eating Gator" we had no reason to leave the room. I did start fretting about the recurring guilt over not making any meaningful contributions to society by being out here. Then I thought that, since thru-hiking is only really meaningful to the hiker, the only one suffering from my taking time off is me - no co-workers or children were harmed in the pausing of this endeavor. I didn't explore the thought any further, content to watch water polo, eat noodles from a styrofoam cup, and pretend the rest of the world didn't exist.

(No pictures today)

No comments:

Post a Comment