Sunday, November 4, 2012

August 6, 2012 - Old Gas and Young Ambition

Day 51
Siskiyou Gap, next to dirt road
Elev: 6000 ft
Miles: 25
Trip: 861

For almost the entire day, I felt like my old hiker self. I was eager to hike in the morning - not as cheerful as Andrew, but eager. The miles came easily and I even caught myself enjoying the uphills again. It was too much too soon, as I found out after 22 miles. Then I got a big painful reminder of why I'd taken five days off. Cramps, bloating, nausea - not sensations you want while wearing a hip belt. Luckily, I happen to hike with the most generous and resourceful thru-hiker out here, and he immediately dropped his pack and went searching for water when he saw me clutching my stomach. Or maybe he just wanted to escape my smellier symptoms...

I'm thankful I felt good enough to enjoy the amazing trail magic at the Cali-Oregon border. A thru-hiker and his two young daughters had set up a little camp on a dirt road, welcoming us to Oregon with noisemakers, grilled hot dogs and cold drinks. This trail magic was unique not only for the noisy celebration: we got to meet another young thru-hiker. At 12, Sunshine hiked the PCT last year with her dad Balls (our trail-magician) during one of the highest snow years on record. Sunshine and Balls also just finished hiking the Appalachian trail - roughly 2,180 miles in three months. I can't imagine growing up like that; learning that your body is capable of hiking 30-plus miles in a day (which she did, several times), meeting people of all different background doing amazing things and experiencing their amazement at your own feats. Must do wonders for a young girl's self esteem.

I also got to witness the meeting of two children of the trail. While handing out party hats and cold pop, Sunshine was eagerly awaiting the arrival of 13-year-old Chili, a boy hiking with his dad (both of whom had also done the AT). He got to Oregon shortly after us and I have to admit I was fascinated by these two kids. As a teacher and a studier of all human behavior, I got a big kick out of watching their adorably awkward meeting and hearing them swap hiking stories. Both intend to hike the Continental Divide Trail (considered by some to be the most difficult of the Big Three long trails) and earn the title Youngest Triple-Crowner. I'd love to follow their stories - what happens when a trail child becomes a trail adult? Where do you find a new challenge after achieving so much?

Shaggy says:

    Today was much better than yesterday. Maybe it was the first solid stool I had in a week, maybe it was entering Oregon, maybe it was the trail magic at the border, or maybe all the delicious spring water today. Whatever it was, today was great.
   We woke to a beautiful sunrise, both felt well rested. We had gone to sleep at 8 pm last night, so we had gotten another good nights' sleep. The trail seemed to know what we needed today, easy miles. Somehow we cranked out 26 of them today. Both of us felt great too.
   The California/Oregon border was a bit unexciting for us. Neither of us had actually walked from Mexico this year, and we were both mostly excited to leave our sickness behind and start a new chapter of this journey. We spent about 3 minutes at the border and then marched on.
   Half a mile further we saw a sign that read "welcome to Oregon Trail Magic". Then we heard  people cheering. It was Balls and his two daughters, Sunshine, and Butterfly. They gave us soda,  hot dogs, twizzlers, and good company. Balls and daughter Sunshine hiked the PCT last year, AT this year, and plan to do the CDT next year. This would make Sunshine the youngest to hike the triple crown, at just 13 years old. Chili and Pepper were hiking near us all day too. Chili is just 13 years old, and has hiked the AT last year and working on the PCT this year. The father-son duo will also attempt the CDT next year. Exciting and amazing to see kids so young out here.
     I ate 4 hot dogs, drank a soda, ate some chips, and that's when I knew my stomach was getting back together. Lauren's stomach is still on its way back together, but we as a whole are feeling stronger everyday. Good day.
The rumors were true! People told us there'd be supreme trail magic at the border...they were so right.

Blankets in the shade, cold beverages, snacks and snazzy party wear. Everything a hiker could want (that's Chili and Butterfly in the back. Butterfly is Balls' other daughter - Sunshine is on the far right)

Oregon looks pretty fine so far - if you don't mind roads and terraced hills (which I don't - much)

And the wildflowers continue!

We have arrived. Let the big miles begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment