Thursday, September 27, 2012

July 11, 2012 - Off the Ledge, On the Edge

Day 27
Near Bear Lake outlet
Elev: 6800 ft
Miles: 24
Trip: 451

The miles continue to make me stronger, at least physically. Emotionally, I feel like I'm slowly wearing down. Not in any serious, want-to-go-home way, but an intermittent struggle. Today the struggle was on, at least toward the end. The day actually started great, with some fantastic alpine views reminiscent of the High Sierras. We met lots of other hikers, although only two were PCT: Weather Carrot and The Bobcat. Hopefully we can talk to them more; Andrew seemed to like them. The day's highlight was an exhilarating high jump from a 15-ft tall boulder into Fontinallis Lake. I've been wanting to do something like that since I saw my first sapphire-blue alpine lake, and it was just as thrilling as I thought it would be. I expected Andrew to object to an extra break, but he was very will, maybe even excited. I'd love to find another place like that before we leave the Sierras for good.

I know it all sounds rosy so far, and it was - right up to the last hour in camp. Andrew's nerves were already frayed from the mosquito attacks, and mine were fraying. Then came my nightly battle with hanging the bear-bag rope, my one camp chore and nemesis. I doesn't help that Andrew can usually toss the rock over the right branch with one throw, while I fumble every step (although no one can tie a rope on a rock like I can). Tonight, since the food bags were too heavy for me, he had to wait until the rope was hung before getting into his sleeping bag away from the bugs. He took over after my fifth or twelfth throw, just wanting to speed things along for both of us. But my ego was fragile and I ended up feeling more inadequate and resentful, no matter his good intentions. I just want to be an asset to our team instead of the one holding us back. Finally, after almost a month, I'm feeling challenged...

Shaggy says:

  I had thought that after Tahoe, the mosquitoes would not be as bad, wow I was wrong. The blood sucking devils attacked by the thousands this afternoon. They kinda try to ruin everything. Hard to enjoy a break with them attacking, hard to enjoy hiking while constantly swatting them. I feel whiny about it, but what are you gonna do? Even the 30% DEET stuff didnt seem to work.
    At least I have Lauren with me. If I were at this alone, it could be pretty miserable. We still find ways to enjoy the day, even with the bloodsuckers.
   The morning was spectacular none-the-less. Desolation wilderness has over 167 lakes. I think we walked by 10 of them  today. We even jumped off a rock ledge into one lake, about a 15 foot drop. It felt great, so refreshing!
    We are both tired and I am a bit grumpy. Need a good nights rest. We are going to shoot for a 26 mile day tomorrow, could be a long day, should also be beautiful. 

"I have always been delighted by the prospect of a new day. A fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere behind the morning."

(No pictures today)

No comments:

Post a Comment