Thursday, September 6, 2012

July 6, 20120 - Hurts the Wallet, Hurts the Walk

Day 22
Near Golden Lake
15 miles after Sonora Pass
Elev: 9200 ft
Miles: 15
Trip: 363

Leaving Bridgeport was bittersweet. I'll miss the donuts and greasy food, but I won't miss overpaying for it. I still cringe at the thought of my grocery bill from that price-gouging market; for $80 I should have food more nutritious than Snickers and mini summer sausages. But we didn't choose Bridgeport for the bargains - we went for the show and the indulgence. Most of yesterday was a lazy succession of eating, chores, more eating and lounging around the hotel room. I like the historic hotel, and it was nice to have a private bathroom (most rooms didn't) but $95 seems like a lot of money when you're used to sleeping outside for free. Maybe a soft bed, AC and showers are worth a splurge now and then.

The hitch hiking was easy - we were picked up by Sleeping Bear again! Once at the trailhead though, it was obvious that the hiking would not so be easy for me. My shin splint made itself known on even the slightest downhill. If that wasn't painful enough, I quickly grew a blister on my right foot the size and shape of a jumbo cashew. My walk probably resembled Charlie Chaplin with one leg that's asleep. It was very frustrating to not make miles when I have so much energy, but Andrew was very understanding. I'm sure he's also worried that something like this could takes us off the trail for a while, but I won't even think about that until I can't walk a mile without stopping. Stubbornness is an effective painkiller.

Shaggy says:

    We took a day off the trail in Bridgeport yesterday. Ate so much amazing food and posted blogs. Also did a really expensive resupply at the general store. $4 pop tarts, $3 lipton noodles, and $1.25 for a snickers. I enjoyed watching TV for a change.
   Today we hit the trail again. We got a pretty quick ride to the trail after donuts at the wonderful bakery.
  Lauren has some shin splints that are bothering her badly on the downhills. On top of that, she got 2 new blisters! I received new shoes yesterday so have happy feet, but now hers are giving problems. So we didnt move fast today. We still covered 15 miles, which is excellent for leaving town with shin splints.
   I am eager to get to the parts of this trail I have not seen yet, after Tahoe. Just 60 more miles off this stuff I saw in 2006. Its really crazy to me how much of this I remember. Its so beautiful too, but I crave new trail.
   I ate an extremely large burrito yesterday. I think it weighed 4 pounds. Then I had ice cream, french fries, and pizza. I feel a bit disgusting now. I need a long day or 2 of hiking, hope we can get it in tomorrow.


"In the silence of the woods you will not be alone." -Chief Sealth

The word imposing comes to mind.

Oh, those teenagers with their spray paint cans...this is the 4th time we've had to whitewash the wilderness.

Trillium!!

Heeeeyy...isn't that a lake?

Sequoia trees in love.

More.

Apparently nature made concrete way before we did.

All clouds and no rain, just the way I like it.

Dusk approaches.

One of very few nights the bugs left us alone long enough to sleep under the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment