Thursday, September 6, 2012

July 2, 2012 - Hungry...for Mosquitoes?

Day 18
A saddle between Kerrick and Stubblefield Canyons
Elev: 8819 ft
Miles: 20 Trip: 314

What a day! Andrew said that days like today think we're both badasses - I say days like today make me feel old. I wasn't into the hike for the first mile, walking like my feet were stuck in glue. The hellacious mosquitoes jolted me into reality - the only thing they're good for. I felt okay until lunch, when my growling appetite made me inhale twice what I'd normally eat. When that hunger hits, it needs attention. We fought mosquitoes every step of the way; it seemed we could never outrun them! I ate several of them, but somehow didn't feel like I was fighting back.

The best part of the day was swimming in a calm little lake by the trail - especially since Andrew got in too. I couldn't dive in fast enough, but it took some teasing before he'd actually submerge. Even he admitted it felt amazing, since the water wasn't nearly as cold as in the higher lakes. Still - a swim is just what I needed.

These mountains are so beautiful, especially with the partly cloudy skies we've been having. The filtered light makes everything a bit softer, like a watercolor painting, And the flowers - so many more than I expected to see up here! There's even some of the fuzzy little trillium we have back in Montana. Now, if the mosquitoes will give up the fight I can enjoy it all a lot more!

Shaggy says:

Mosquito hell. That's what one of our guidebooks describes the section from Tuolomne to Tahoe as. It is hell. If it weren't beautiful, I would curse it more. As bad as they are, at least the views around here are spectacular. The last few miles seemed to be the worst we have seen the skeeters. I think I killed thousands today, but also feel like I have thousands of bites.
   Luckily we found a couple spots without the blood sucking devils today. The first was our lunch spot, a windy, dry outcropping on the way down from a pass. I didn't want to leave!
   We also took an amazing swim in a crystal clear lake. It was also bug free for the most part. It felt amazing to swim in the lake, good way to wash up.
     I am proud of us for keeping it together today. We marched through the battlefield of mosquitoes and made 20 miles. I am really hoping they wont be as bad tomorrow, but suspecting that they will be just as bad.
   The sound of hundreds of them buzzing around outside is enough to make me go crazy. So glad we have a tent to sleep in.

Yosemite has a distinctive look to it. I would never mistake this scene for Glacier or Yellowstone.

The Wow moments never end.

Our haven from mosquitoes was right out in the middle of this little lake.

Just what I ordered: some clouds to texturize my photos.

Indian paintbrush and mountain heather. I really can't do justice to wildflowers with my camera (or my camera skills).

No comments:

Post a Comment