Wednesday, September 26, 2012

July 8, 2012 - Hummingbird Zen

Day 24
Upper Truckee River
11 miles after Echo Lake
Elev: 8400 ft
Miles: 25
Trip: 408

Finally, a day when everything lined up just right. My body did what I needed it to do, my mind was in the game, and the mosquitoes left us alone (at least until these last two miles). My first 25-mile day felt like a struggle, but today the distance rolled by without a problem. My shin splints are still making noise and I have a blister that's rooted deep under the skin of my heel - but neither gave me any major trouble. It's so satisfying to know I've come a long way in the time I've been out here. It used to b that my feet started protesting at mile 15 and didn't quit until camp. Now I can make it to mile 20 before the discomfort turns into aching feet, and that usually quiets down after a rest. I'm excited to hike my first 30-mile day. How cool would it be to walk 30 miles on my 30th birthday?

The views were killer again, lots of crumbling red rock spotted with vivid rusty-orange and lime-green lichen. But my eyes were drawn to another colorful sight: the thousands of wildflowers. Blue and white lupine, hot pink sky rockets, purple penstemon, sky-blue irises, blue-eyed forget-me-nots, fuchsia heather and my original favorite: Indian paintbrush in every fiery color imaginable. Red, orange, yellow, pink...I've always wanted to pick a huge flaming bouquet just to see all those shades together. There was a hummingbird buzzing amongst all the sky rockets on a high windy ridge, swaying along with the flowers to feed on the tiny drops of nectar. It's easy to be awed out here, even by the littlest things.

Tomorrow we walk to Hwy 50, where we'll catch a ride to South Lake Tahoe - possibly the biggest town we'll see on this trail. There's even a K-Mart! That's high living... I still have a lot of food left from Bridgeport, so I'm hoping not to spend a lot of money on resupply. There will still be plenty to do, and spend money on. Andrew wants to see a movie, and I want to go to an actual bar and/or restaurant. All after we shower, of course. I'm feeling mighty gritty after all this dusty walking.

Shaggy says:

Slept so well without a tent last night. I felt great in the morning, full of energy. Lauren was feeling good too. We were on the trail before 7 and it felt great. The scenery was amazing nearly all day as we were up high in some red rocky stuff. We also made really good time up and down the mountains.
   We were looking forward to Carson Pass all day, restrooms, water, and PCT Register. But when we arrived it was after 5 PM, so no water or register. We did have a picnic table and outhouse though, which made us excited. I suppose it is the little things.
   Lots  of folks out on the trail today, even saw a few pcters. I am now dehydrated. Not a lot of water on the trail today. I am exhausted, 25 miles today. Tahoe tomorrow, just 11 miles from town now.


"One touch of nature ... makes all the world kin." -John Muir

Day-glo Indian paintbrush! I must have had my camera on rave setting...this is not the flower's natural color.

Skyyyyyyyy rockets in flight!

A dusky walk through wildflowers...

...makes the last hour of hiking a lot less painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment